When was the last time you had your dryer vent cleaned?
Dust, lint and debris can build up in your dryer vent over time, restricting air flow and creating a serious fire hazard. Length of the duct, malfunctioning dampers, frequency of use, and critters in the duct work, are all factors that contribute to lint accumulation and dryer overheating.
Here are 5 signs that its time to clean your dryer vent:
1. It takes a long time to dry your clothes. If you’re clothes are still wet at the end of the drying cycle and it takes your laundry multiple cycles to dry, your dryer vent is likely clogged. Not only does this present a fire hazard, but it also increases your operating costs and energy use.
2. Your dryer and clothes feel hot. If the outside or top of your dryer feels hot during the cycle, or your clothes are too hot to touch after the drying cycle, your dryer’s venting system may not be exhausting properly.
3. Lint is everywhere, except on the lint trap. If you've noticed that the lint trap has not been collecting any lint, or if there is lint debris outside of the driver vent opening, this is a sign that lint and dust are accumulating in the exhaust duct.
4. Your clothes have a musty smell. Lint and debris trapped in a dryer vent can sometimes have a musty and damp scent. When your dryer is running, the odour is pushed back onto your clothing, leaving them with an unpleasant scent.
5. It’s been over a year since you’ve had your vent cleaned. Dust, lint and debris can plug dryer vents over a period of time. Regular cleaning will prevent blockages and airflow restriction.
To reduce the risk of fire, manufacturers recommend a regular inspection and cleaning of the dryer vent, a minimum of once per year or more with heavy use.
Georgian Duct Cleaning offers residential dryer vent cleaning in Central Ontario. We use a powerful HEPA filtered “Lintvac” with a powered airbrush to blast compressed air and rotate inside the vent, effectively breaking up attached lint.
We also offer the LintAlert to monitor the exhaust vent and warn you of blockages.
Georgian Duct Cleaning is a family owned business in Simcoe County with over 20 years experience working with residential, commercial and industrial42505D HVAC ducts. Call us for a free quote or for more information. (705) 722-5952 or 1-800-363-2563